3 Day Juice Cleanse - Day 1

You read that right.... I have decided to do a juice cleanse.  Forget the fact that I have always been dead against them when my friends have told me stories about how they planned a detoxing cleanse.  A lot has changed since those days... and, by that, I mean that I watched a documentary.  I've been known, in the past, to be easily convinced by a good infomercial (as some people may remember my 60 days of Insanity workouts), this was the first time a documentary got to me, though.  What documentary, you might ask?  Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.  The story is JUST. SO. COMPELLING. My husband and I watched it at a friend's house while we were out of town for New Year's Eve and decided immediately that we would jump on the juice fast bandwagon for a 10 day detox.  The timing seems perfect, considering we just ate so much junk over the holidays.  Plus, won't this help jumpstart that weight loss I mentioned in my last post?  I think it should...  So here goes!  I must confess, though, when we started this, we thought we'd try a 10 day detox, but we very quickly figured out that would not work, so we changed it to 3 days.  I admit it, we're weak.

Not to over-analyze or anything, but we decided to start on a Friday for a few reasons.  Number 1 - the first three days are supposed to be the hardest.  You're hungry, cranky, and not feeling motivated.  That means that I would only need to get through one workday and then I would have the weekend to get myself through the toughest part of the challenge.  Number 2 - some people on the documentary said they had to go to the bathroom after drinking their first few juices.... and who wants to go through that at work?  Not me.  So, a weekend start was, obviously the best route.

We also needed to invest in a juicer, as this was not something we had prior to our fast.  We decided to go with the Magic Bullet JuiceBullet because it was the least expensive option at Bed Bath and Beyond ($79.99).  Plus, we could use one of those handy 20% off coupons they, so generously, offer.  We know this isn't the best juicer on the market, but considering it's very likely this juicing thing won't pan out for us, we didn't want to spend upwards of $300 on the best juicer.

Day 1:

Breakfast Juice
3 Carrots
2 Green Apples
1 Pear
Ginger (approx. 1-inch)

Fruit before being juiced
Juice


You need to make sure you wash the fruits and vegetables prior to juicing them.  This juice was so delicious!  It was fruity and very nutritious.  I didn't feel too hungry after drinking it, so things seemed to be off to a good start.

Lunch and Dinner Juice - The Mean Green Juice
6 Kale Leaves
4 Stalks Celery
1 Cucumber
2 Green Apples
1/2 Lemon
Ginger (1-inch)

Vegetables for one serving and juicer

Finished product - one serving made both of these glasses.


This is the juice featured on the aforementioned documentary.  The taste isn't bad, but I was already asking myself if I would be able to stick to this 3-day cleanse.  I know I already mentioned that the first three days are the worst, but still... being the woman that I am, I immediately tell myself that I better see a weight-loss on the scale after the first few days, or this is definitely not worth it and I want some Taco Bell.

The reason for doing the same juice for lunch and dinner today is simple (and proves how lazy I am).... Primarily, I did not want to wash the juicer two more times today (after already doing it after the breakfast juice).  But, also, my husband works second shift at his job and needed to make his "dinner"while we were making our lunches, so we decided to just get all of the juice ready for the day at once.  Maybe, instead of this making us lazy, that means we are efficient??  Probably not, though.

Somehow, I made it through day one without making myself something delicious and solid (i.e., not liquid)... and also without going through the nearest drive-thru.  So maybe I will make it after all.  Only time will tell.

Comments

  1. Love the juice idea! I have a stupid question, when you juice the lemon, do you leave the rind on or remove it? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I take the rind off, but I have seen people leave it on.... the toughness of the rind makes me nervous about putting it into the juicer, though.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts